Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Copy Cap Murder


Author:  Jenn McKinlay
Series:  Hat Shop Mysteries #4
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Berkley

Description:  For Scarlett Parker, part of the fun of living in London is celebrating the British holidays, and she’s excited to share her first Bonfire Night with her cousin Vivian Tremont. Invited to a posh party by their friend Harrison Wentworth, Scarlett and Viv decide to promote their hat shop, Mim’s Whims, by donning a few of their more outrageous creations. The hats prove to be quite the conversation starters as the girls mix and mingle with the guests—never suspecting that one of them is a killer. 

It’s a cold, clear night, perfect for the British tradition of tossing a straw stuffed effigy of Guy Fawkes, traitor to the crown, onto the bonfire. But instead of a straw man, they realize in the heat of the moment that the would-be Guy Fawkes is actually Harrison’s office rival and he’s been murdered. Before the smoke has cleared, Harrison is the Metropolitan police’s prime suspect, and Scarlett and Vivian must find the real homicidal hothead before their dear friend’s life goes up in flames.


My Review

This series has quickly become one of my favorite must read series.  Jenn McKinlay is a such a terrific writer and I think there series just gets better with each book.  The author has such a wonderful writing style that she draws the reader into her world and surrounds them with such a great story line, wonderful characters and a solid mystery that you never want to leave.  Whenever I pick up one of the books in this series I know I won't be disappointed and I will be transported for a few hours to visit with characters that are starting to feel like old friends.

The mystery in this installment is absolutely terrific.  There are a good number of suspects and plenty of twists and turns leading up to a very climactic resolution and reveal of the killer's identity.  I was completely surprised as to the identity of the killer as well as the other plot twist that author threw into the mix.  The story is well plotted and has a fantastic pace.  There is not a dull moment in this book.  We even get an answer to the cliffhanger from the last book.

The characters are also developing really well.  The relationships and friendships continue to grow and when I sit down to read these books I feel like the characters have all become friends and that I am just catching up with them.  I like how the relationship between the cousins is strong and that that the secondary characters have become family and play an part in all of the mysteries.  I also like how the relationship between Scarlett and Harrison is progressing.  In each book I can see how they all of the characters are growing and it just makes them more interesting, likable and people you can relate to.

I have really enjoyed all of the books in the series, but I think this one is my favorite so far.  It is well written with wonderful characters, a strong mystery with plenty of surprises and a great setting in the hat shop and London.  Jenn McKinlay has created a wonderful series that does not disappoint and is highly entertaining.  If you haven't read any of the books in this series, I would encourage you to give them a try.  You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I just finished reading this last night and loved it. Jenn is one of my favorite authors. Each of her series is so different from the others, but they are all fabulous! Just started A Likely Story today. Glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete