Saturday, January 23, 2016

Dream Killer



Author:  Mike Baldwin
Genre:  Mystery
Publisher:  Self Published by Author

Description:  To fulfill her friend’s dream, legendary sports agent Veronica Townsend has constructed a kids’ summer camp on the Kansas farm where baseball hero John Jensen was raised. Camp Dream Catcher, though, is in danger of shutting down after a lifeguard is murdered. With cancellations pouring in, Veronica must solve the mystery in a desperate attempt to keep the camp open.


My Review

This is the first book that I have read by this author.  Mr. Baldwin has written one previous mystery, and that character is referenced in this story.  However, if you have not read the previous book you will not be lost if you start with this one.  The synopsis of the story was interesting to me.  I don't recall reading a mystery that takes place at a children's summer camp, so I thought I would give this a try.

The first thing the reader should be aware of is that this story is told from several different points of view.  It took be a bit to adjust but once I did it didn't seem to interfere with my reading of the story.  The book is well written and has a good solid mystery.  There are plenty of twists and turns throughout the story.  There are also plenty of suspects to choose from which will keep the reader guessing as to the killer's identity until the culprit is revealed.

I love stories that are character driven.  While the mystery is important, as a reader, it is my connection with the characters that will keep my returning to a series or an author to read future books.  For the most part, the characters were likable and given that this story took place in a kids summer camp they were appropriate for a younger audience who may pick up the book to read.  My only criticism was that I felt there were too many characters in this story and it was hard to keep track of them and I felt that with so many there was not as much character development as I would like to see in a story.  I didn't feel like I was able to have enough time to get to know them and really connect.  I think that with less characters I would have enjoyed this book even more.

In sum, I thought this was a well written book with a good solid mystery.  It had an interesting concept with the story being told in multiple points of view.  For me personally, I thought there were too many characters in the book and would have liked to have seen fewer that were more developed.  That said, I enjoyed the book and would be willing to give future books by this author a try.

I was gifted a copy of this book by the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment