Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Bells on Her Toes


Author: Diana J. Febry
Genre:  Mystery
Publisher:  Wings ePress

Description:  DCI Peter Hatherall is called in to investigate a shooting on the Earl of Ditchburn’s country estate. The Earl’s activities have angered animal rights and environmental groups but subsequent deaths suggest Elmsgrove Racehorse Yard is the target. There is more at stake than a horse race and time is running out for Hatherall to solve the case before the culprit kills again.

My Review

This is the first book I have read by this author and I will definitely be back for more.  I found that I really enjoyed this book which is what I consider a good, old-fashioned English murder mystery. The story is well written and has a plot that progresses at a steady pace picking up toward the end of the book.  The plot, characters and mystery had me engaged throughout the entire book.  The setting, horse training in England, added to my enjoyment of the story.  The mystery itself was strong and the author did a wonderful job of carefully providing clues as to the killer's identity throughout the story.  The story unfolds in a realistic manner and has plenty of suspects along with twists and turns.  The characters are a great part of this story.  The author does a great job of writing characters that have depth and layers.  There is also a great relationship between the two main characters with plenty of tension and great dialogue.  The secondary cast of characters is made up of a wonderful variety of characters that range from the working class (the trainers) to the upper elite of society.  

All in all, I really enjoyed this mystery.  I found it to be well written, with a strong mystery and good pace that picked as the book came to a satisfying conclusion.  The characters are well written with depth and layers.  I will be looking forward to reading more from this author.


I was gifted a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.  This in now way affected my review and the thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment