Saturday, February 20, 2016

Fogged Inn


Author:  Barbara Ross
Series:  Maine Clambake Mystery #4
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Kensington
Publication Date:  February 23, 2016

Description:  An autumn chill has settled over Busman's Harbor, Maine, but Julia Snowden is warming up the town by offering lobster stew at the local diner. When her landlord discovers a dead body in the walk-in refrigerator, Julia must figure out who ordered up a side of murder.

Nothing's colder than a corpse--especially one stashed inside a sub-zero fridge. The victim spent his last night on earth dining at the restaurant bar, so naturally Julia finds herself at the center of the ensuing investigation. Lost in the November fog, however, is who'd want to kill the unidentified stranger--and why. It might have something to do with a suspicious group of retirees and a decades-old tragedy to which they're all connected. One thing's for sure: Julia's going to make solving this mystery her early bird special.

My Review

This is the fourth installment in the Main Clambake Mystery series and I have to  say that I really enjoyed this book.  I haven't had a chance to read the third book in the series yet and as I was reading this one I was surprised at how much I missed reading this series.  This author has a great descriptive writing style that draws the reader in allowing them to get to know the characters and the town creating a wonderful atmosphere.  The mystery is well thought out and well plotted.  It has plenty of surprise along the way as well as a number of suspects to choose from.  I really like how the characters are developing and the theme of friendship that ran through the story.  Because the murder takes place in the off season, the story centers mainly on Julia and her desire to solve the mystery.  I enjoy her character and find her to be warm, sensitive and realistic.  Because of the way this story was written, I felt that the reader was able to really connect with Julia in a way that perhaps we haven't before because her family members have played more of a part in the story.  I also like the way the author is writing the romance between Chris and Julia.  It is developing at a realistic pace and is not being rushed. 

This was a highly enjoyable read and I will definitely be going back to see what I missed with book three.  It was nice to be reminded again how much I enjoy this series and this author.  Also, there are plenty of delicious sounding recipes that sound perfect to try during these winter months.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.  I was not required to give a positive review and the thoughts expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment