Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Murder in an Irish Village


Author:  Carlene O'Connor
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Kensington
Publication Date:  February 23, 2016

Description:  In the small village of Kilbane, County Cork, Ireland, Natalie's Bistro has always been a warm and welcoming spot to visit with neighbors, enjoy some brown bread and tea, and get the local gossip. Nowadays twenty-two-year-old Siobhán O'Sullivan runs the family bistro named for her mother, along with her five siblings, after the death of their parents in a car crash almost a year ago. 

It's been a rough year for the O'Sullivans, but it's about to get rougher. One morning, as they're opening the bistro, they discover a man seated at a table, dressed in a suit as if for his own funeral, a pair of hot pink barber scissors protruding from his chest. 

With the local garda suspecting the O'Sullivans, and their business in danger of being shunned--murder tends to spoil the appetite--it's up to feisty redheaded Siobhán to solve the crime and save her beloved brood.

My Review

One of my goals this year is to expand the variety of cozy mysteries that I read.  When I was given an opportunity to read and review an advanced copy of a story about Irish siblings set in Ireland, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to work on that goal.  Murder in an Irish Village is the debut of Carlene O'Connor, who is not only new to the cozy mystery genre but this is also her debut novel.

This was an enjoyable read.  It was well written and had an authentic feel to the setting.  The author did a wonderful job with her descriptions allowing the reader the for a picture of this quaint village as they read the story.  The Irish/Gaelic dialogue peppered throughout the story also help with the authentic feel.  I felt that the story was a little slow to start and get o the murder, but once that happened the pace was steady from that point forward.  The mystery was well written and had plenty of twists and turns.  There were plenty of suspects to choose from, a whole town in fact and I was surprised by the identity of the killer.

I thought the characters were also well written.  Siobhan, the main character of the six O'Sullivan siblings, was pretty well developed.  She is independent, smart, loving and struggled with the change in her role from older sister to guardian.  The secondary characters provided color and charm to the story.  I liked that the reader got to know each of the siblings as they were at the forefront of the story throughout the entire book.  

I am not sure if this is a stand alone or going to somehow be a series, but I found it to be an enjoyable read with a solid mystery, an authentic, quaint setting, and well written characters. I will be looking out for future stories written by Carlene O'Connor.

I was provided a copy of this book by Kensington, the publisher, through Netgalley.  I was not required to write a positive review.  The thoughts and opinions in this review are my own.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished Murder in an Irish Village yesterday and really enjoyed it & your review. Hope we get to read more adventures of the Sullivan Six.

    ReplyDelete