Saturday, February 27, 2016

To Helvetica and Back


Author:  Paige Shelton
Series:  A Dangerous Type Mystery  #1
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Berkley

Description:  Star City is known for its slopes and its powder. But nestled in the valley of this ski resort town is a side street full of shops that specialize in the simple charms of earlier eras. One of those shops is the Rescued Word, where Chester Henry and his adult granddaughter Clare lovingly repair old typewriters and restore old books. Who ever thought their quaint store would hold the key to some modern-day trouble?


When a stranger to town demands they turn over an antique Underwood typewriter they’re repairing for a customer, Clare fears she may need to be rescued. A call to the police scares the man off, but later Clare finds his dead body in the back alley. What about a dusty old typewriter could possibly be worth killing for?

My Review

I am a fan of Paige Shelton books, having read both the Farmers' Market Mystery Series and the Country Cooking School Mystery Series. I was sad to hear those series were ending, so when I found out she was starting a new series, this book automatically went on my to be read list.  And I was not disappointed.  

The writing is what fans have come to expect from this author.  The story is well plotted with a solid mystery that is intriguing.  There are twists and turns and surprises leading up to a satisfying ending to the story.  The book had a good pace that kept the reading continuing along to see what happens next. I like that an old typewriter repair shop is the setting.  That along with the town adds a nostalgic feel to the story.

I also for the most part, liked all of the characters.  Clare is warm and compassionate and I liked that she has such a good relationship with all of her family.  I enjoyed Chester, her grandfather and I think the reader can expect more to come from this character in future stories.  There is a bit of romance brewing between Clare and Seth, the new town geologist but as with her other books, the relationship is introduced slowly and I thought was sweet.  I think I'm going to like Seth.  The only character that I didn't connect with was Clare's best friend Jodie.  I'm not sure why that is but I am looking forward to more stories in this series and hopefully will warm up to  Jodie's character. 

This was a wonderful start to a new series by Paige Shelton with all of the characteristics that fans have come to expect from her.  I think readers who are already fans of this author as well as those new to her will all enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment