Wednesday, March 30, 2016

A Muddied Murder


Author:  Wendy Tyson
Series:  A Greenhouse Mystery #1
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Henry Press


Description:  When Megan Sawyer gives up her big-city law career to care for her grandmother and run the family’s organic farm and café, she expects to find peace and tranquility in her scenic hometown of Winsome, Pennsylvania. Instead, her goat goes missing, rain muddies her fields, the town denies her business permits, and her family’s Colonial-era farm sucks up the remains of her savings. 


Just when she thinks she’s reached the bottom of the rain barrel, Megan and the town’s hunky veterinarian discover the local zoning commissioner’s battered body in her barn.  Now Megan is thrust into the middle of a murder investigation—and she’s the chief suspect. Can Megan dig through small-town secrets, local politics, and old grievances in time to find a killer before that killer strikes again?

My Review
This is the first book I have read by this author and I found it to be very enjoyable.  This is a promising start to a new series.  The story is well written with a good pace.  There are plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader engaged in what I found to be a solid mystery.  I also enjoyed the historical mystery that was woven in to this story about the ancestors of our main character.  The author has a wonderful descriptive writing style and I enjoyed learning more about organic farming, which is becoming a more common theme of the cozy mystery genre.
I also enjoyed all of the characters and thought the author did a really good job developing them for this first in the series.  It is a balance between providing some background that helps the reader connect with the characters without burdening them in too much of the back story.  This author had just the right balance providing what we needed in this book but leaving some questions to be answered in future installments in the series.  I enjoyed Megan's character and thought she proved to be smart in her sleuthing.  I also found rest of the characters to be very likable and enjoyed the budding romance between the main character Megan and Denver, the local vet.  I am looking forward to future installments to see where the author takes this series.
I received an copy of this book from Henry Press, the publisher, through Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.  The thoughts expressed in this review are my own.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds really good, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete