Saturday, March 12, 2016

Broken Trilogy


Author: J.L. Drake
Series:   Broken Trilogy (Broken, Shattered, Mended)
Genre:  Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense
Publisher:  Limitless Publishing LLC

Description:  My father is the mayor of New York. One day after my twenty-seventh birthday I was grabbed from behind. A cloth sack was quickly pulled over my head, and I was taken from everything I’d ever known. 

I was beaten, starved, treated like an animal, and forced to live in a room with no windows. With no sense of time and no dignity left I finally gave up hope and made a promise to myself to end it all. Unfortunately, it was going to be a slow process. 

Then one night an elite group of US Army soldiers came to my rescue. I was brought to a safe house and given two options: 

One—Stay under their protection and follow their rules or... 
Two—Leave and be guaranteed to be returned to the savages within a week. 

I chose option one. 

As I work with a therapist and begin processing my hellish ordeal things slowly begin to surface. With the help of new friends and a potential new love I fight to get my life back and make choices that will forever alter my future. 

This is my story…


My Review

This review encompasses the entire Broken Trilogy, which should be read in the following order:  Broken, Shattered, Mended.  This is the first I have read by J.L. Drake and I actually decided to give this series a try after seeing that it received so many 4 and 5 star reviews, and also because it was part of my Kindle Unlimited Subscription.  I read the three books over the course of three days and for the most part found this to be a pretty good read.

This writing is done well and the story has plenty of twists, turns, surprises and is full of a lot of emotion given some of the subject matter.  The author has a smooth writing style that flows nicely throughout the story.  In the end, it is a story of one woman reclaiming her life after being forced to endure some horrific circumstances.

I am a fan of character driven stories and for me that is what was at the hear of my enjoyment with this series.  The characters all have depth and the author is not afraid to have her characters, both male and female, show emotion.  I enjoyed the romance between Cole and Savannah and how they brought out something in each other that was missing.  I also really enjoyed the camaraderie between Cole and the other members of his team.  The story is written in such a way that you can really see how much they all care for each other and even though not related they are family.  But I have to say, I really enjoyed the camaraderie between Savannah and some of the members of the team that have larger roles as secondary characters.  Again, this is where I think the author shines.  You can feel Savannah opening up and letting people back into her life after her ordeal and her interactions and shenanigans with Mark and Keith, especially, resulted in some humorous moments that we need as a break from the emotion of the story.

That being said, there were plenty of times when I was frustrated with Savannah's character.  Given what she went through, I thought there were some times that she put herself in needless jeopardy because she was being stubborn or just naive.  I understand the story plot with the damsel in distress so to speak but some of this was just a bit too unrealistic for me.  I also thought that the trilogy was a little long.  There were points during the story where I felt the plot stagnated or the particular story line felt as if it were drawn out for too long of a period. 

However, I thought this trilogy was well written, had great characters and was full of twists, turns, and surprises that will keep the reader mostly engaged.  I enjoyed it enough that one of the secondary characters is getting his own story and I will most likely try those books if they are part of my Kindle Unlimited Subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment