Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Point of No Return


Author:  Diana Febry
Genre:  British Mystery/Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Wings ePress

Description:  The significance of the noose left hanging outside James Palmer’s barn is obvious to everyone in the village. When threats turn to violence DCI Peter Hatherall has to unmask a master of disguise determined to have their revenge.


My Review

This is a sequel to Bells on Her Toes and the second book that I have read by this author.  I enjoyed the first book so much that when I was asked to read and review the second book I was happy to do so.  I would consider this a good old fashioned British murder mystery.  It has the elements of a cozy mystery (the death occurs off the pages) and there is plenty of elements of traditional police procedural mysteries.

This book allows the reader to return to many of the same locations as the first book but there are plenty of new locations to discover.  I was happy to see this as the author did such a wonderful job of describing the rural location in the first book that it allowed the reader to clearly picture the locations.  She continues with that same style in this book.  Both DCI Peter Hatherall and DI Fiona Williams are back as the investigative team in this story.  I personally think they make a good pair.  They are wonderfully written and we get a glimpse into how they are dealing with their personal issues as well as their relationship.  As in the first book, there is great wit and dialogue between these two characters.

The story has a intriguing opening scene and then jumps two years to when Peter and Fiona are called out on an investigation.  I thoroughly enjoyed the mystery in this second installment.  There is intrigue and suspense and just a good old fashioned, well written mystery that kept me guessing until the end.  What I have enjoyed about these two books is that they are plot-driven books that keep the reader engaged with each new clue, event or suspect.

Although this is the second in the series, I don't think you would be missing out if you didn't read the first one, in terms of characters and past history.  You would definitely be missing out on an enjoyable read.  If you are looking for a well written, wonderfully crafted story that has intrigue, action and suspense along with wonderful characters then I don't think you will be disappointed.

I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.  This did not influence my review and the opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment