Saturday, March 26, 2016

Silenced in the Serf


Author:  Kate Dyer-Seeley
Series:  A Pacific Northwest Mystery #3
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Kensington
Publication Date:  March 29, 2016

Description:  Covering a windsurfing competition should have been a breeze for reporter Meg Reed, but with a killer in the curl, she's headed for rough waters…

Hood River in the Columbia River Gorge is the windsurfing capital of the world, and Meg is stoked to cover the King of the Hook event for Portland's Northwest Extreme magazine. Before the competition gets under way, Meg has a chance to try some windsurfing on her own. But when the current sweeps her downriver, she spots a body snagged on the rocks. The dead man is Justin Cruise, aka Cruise Control, a celebrity windsurfer and not exactly a nice guy. It's soon clear his death was no accident, and Cruise had no shortage of enemies. As Meg dives right in to discover who wiped out the windsurfer, she'll need to keep her balance--or she too may get blown away. 

My Review

This is the third installment in the Pacific Northwest Mystery series by author Kate Dyer-Seeley.  This series has been on my to be read list for a while but for whatever reason I had not yet gotten around to bumping to the top of the pile.  When I got the opportunity to read an ARC of this book I took it as a sign that now was the time to bump the series up the list.  Because I haven't read the first two books I was a little hesitant but once I started the story, the author pulled me right in from the opening pages.  I didn't feel that I was missing out on a lot by not having read the first two books, but that being said I think it would be nice if you had read them so you can see how the characters progress and maybe get a bit of the back story about the relationship between some of the characters.

This is a well written book that has a great pace and flows nicely.  The author has a wonderful descriptive style that draws the reader in and paints wonderful pictures of the town, the river and the action of the sport that Meg is their to cover.  The mystery is solid with plenty of twists, turns and maybe a few surprises.  I enjoy books where the author keeps me guessing as to the identity of the killer and this one fits the bill nicely.

If you read my reviews, you will know that while I like a good mystery, what really draws me in and keeps me coming back are the characters.  This book is full of wonderful characters.  Meg is smart, spunky and independent.  At this point she knows that she has a penchant for stumbling across murders but does her best to investigate while being circumspect.  All of the secondary characters are really great, but I have to say my favorite is Meg's grandmother who she calls Gam.  I think this is where Meg gets her spirit and spunk.  There is a bit of a romance brewing but this in no way takes away from the mystery.

When I finished the book, I walked away having read solid mystery that kept me engaged with wonderful writing and likable characters.  And, I was surprised to learn that this author also writes under the pseudonym Ellie Alexander.  I love the Bakeshop Mystery series and as I reflected on the book I could see the similarities in the writing style and the character development.

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.  This in now way influenced my review and the thoughts expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment