Saturday, May 21, 2016

Murder at Morningside


Author:  Sandra Bretting
Series:  A Missy DuBois Mystery #1
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Kensington
Expected Publication Date:  May 24, 2016

Description:  Hat designer Missy DuBois opened her shop, Crowning Glory, along Louisiana's Great River Road to cater to the sophisticated Southern bride. But bless her heart, who knew creating stylish wedding veils would lead to murder? 

Hired to craft a veil for a socialite getting married at Morningside Plantation means Missy can bask in the height of antebellum atmosphere. But when the bride is found dead in a women's bathroom, Missy the milliner finds herself entangled in one unfashionable murder. With the list of suspects thicker than the sweltering Louisiana heat, including a gaggle of bridesmaids shedding nary a tear and a family with no shortage of enemies, it seems anyone at the mansion may have done away with the bride-to-be. While Missy has Southern charm to spare, she's going to need more than manners and a manicure to put a hat pin on this murderous affair. 

My Review

This is the first book in a new series by Sandra Bretting.  This author is new to me and I found her to have a nice writing style.  This book is full of delightful characters that have wonderful southern charm.  I am very character focused when I read books as my connection to the characters are what keep me coming back to a series.  I found the characters in this book to be a bit underdeveloped.  I would have liked them to have a bit more depth to them. However, I did like the relationship between Missy and Bo and it will be interesting to see where the author takes it.  I also was a bit distracted by the antics of the characters because there are certain events in the story that I did not find to be plausible.  In fiction there is a certain suspension of reality but in this story line the lack of believability distracted me from the overall story.

The mystery was well written and there are plenty of twists and turns until the identity of the killer is revealed.  The pace of the story did slow down toward the middle as Missy became side-tracked and the original plot took a back seat.  

The first book in a new series is always difficult to write.  It take a balancing act.  I love cozy mysteries and support the genre so I will be reading the second in the series because with a few changes to pace and characters, I think this series could have promise.

I received an ARC from Kensington through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.  This did not influence my opinion and the thoughts expressed are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment