Wednesday, May 4, 2016

One With You


Author:  Sylvia Day
Series:  Crossfire Novel #5 
Genre:  Romance
Publisher:   St. Martin's Griffin
Published:  April 2016

Description:  Gideon Cross. Falling in love with him was the easiest thing I’ve ever done. It happened instantly. Completely. Irrevocably.

Marrying him was a dream come true. Staying married to him is the fight of my life. Love transforms. Ours is both a refuge from the storm and the most violent of tempests. Two damaged souls entwined as one.
We have bared our deepest, ugliest secrets to one another. Gideon is the mirror that reflects all my flaws … and all the beauty I couldn’t see. He has given me everything. Now, I must prove I can be the rock, the shelter for him that he is for me. Together, we could stand against those who work so viciously to come between us.
But our greatest battle may lie within the very vows that give us strength. Committing to love was only the beginning. Fighting for it will either set us free ... or break us apart.

My Review

This is the conclusion of the Crossfire Series.  I was a big fan of the books up until the end of the fourth installment.  In the interest of fairness, I will say that I was not really all that happy that this went from a trilogy to a five book series and that the wait between book four and five was almost two years.  However, I enjoyed these characters and watching them grow emotionally over the course of the first four books so I thought I owed it to myself to see how their story ended.

This last book is everything we have come to expect from Sylvia Day in terms of her writing. We continue to see Eva and Gideon grow in their relationship as well as in themselves. These characters are complex, flawed, vulnerable, driven and written with so much emotion that it is easy to see how they have connected with millions of readers across the country. There is a great  cast of secondary characters that engage the reader and demand that they have their own ending and resolution.
When I finished the book I was left feel a little unsatisfied and at loose ends. While I think that the author ended Eva and Gideon's story at an appropriate place I felt that perhaps it took too long with too many extraneous elements to get us there.  This last book is filled with more trauma, obstacles and drama that are placed in the path of Eva and Gideon.  The author took a (to me) surprising turn with the story of Monica, Eva's mother, that could have been introduced in earlier books and concluded in a way that didn't cause Eva more emotional distress.  For me, these obstacles in the last book felt like they were placed there for the purpose of filing the pages of one more story.

I was also disappointed that there were several loose ends that did not get resolved.  As a fan of the series, I would have like to see Cary's story line along with a few others resolved in a more satisfactory manner.  For that reason I would have to say that this last book left me feeling unsatisfied and like perhaps the author cheated us a bit by not resolving those issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment