Wednesday, May 11, 2016

You Can't Always Get the Marquess You Want



Author:  Alexandra Hawkins
Series:  Masters of Seduction #2
Genre:  Historical Romance
Publisher:  St. Martin's
Expected Publication Date:  April 5, 2016



Description:  They call him Chance, though in truth the Marquess of Fairlamb feels bitterly cursed: A long-ago family feud is still standing in the way of his heart’s desire. Lady Tempest is the daughter of his father’s sworn enemy, the Marquess of Norgrave. She is beautiful, innocent, and utterly untouchable. But some seductions are just too good to resist… 

Turns out Tempest is a woman of her own mind―and a true romantic who will overcome every obstacle to be with the man of her dreams. But the odds are against handsome, wickedly charming Chance if he intends to win Tempest as his bride. Will he choose loyalty to his family―or risk everything he has for the woman he yearns for?

My Review


I'll start by saying that I have been a fan of Alexandra Hawkins in the past. I had gotten away from reading historical romance for the last few years and when I had an opportunity to read and review a book by an author who had been a favorite I decided to give it a try.

This is the second book in the series and is about the children of the two main families in the first book. I didn't not read that one but it didn't affect my review of the second book. I was surprised at how disappointed I was by this book. Yes, Ms. Hawkins is still a good writer and crafts a well written story but I found the plot to be weaker than her previous series. This is a book about a relationship between the children of two feuding families. While the story line was not original, I thought perhaps the author would put some type of unique twist on it. However, that wasn't the case.

I was also very disappointed with the characters. In the past Ms. Hawkins has filled her books with wonderful hero's who jump off the pages and while have a tendency to be alpha males are likable, diverse and developed. Her heroine's are strong, feisty women who push to be partners in their relationships. That was sadly missing in this book. I found Tempest to be the feather-brained type heroine in these types of stories who goes along with whatever her parents want. I found Mathias, to be less than likable. He is the entitled type of hero that I typically dislike to see in historical romances. For me, characters are supposed to evolve and it appears that neither the parents (who were involved in the first book) nor their children grow or evolve. The characters, for me remained flat and unlikable, making this book feel like something I had to force myself to finish. Maybe it's just me because I have not read this genre in quite a while but this book was not enjoyable for me and did not leave me wanting to see what happens to the next characters in the series.

I received an ARC of this book from St. Martin's through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my review and the thoughts expressed are my own.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment