Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Show Time


Author:  Suzanne Trauth
Series:  Dodie O'Dell Mystery #1
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Lyrical Underground
Published:  July 19, 2016

Description:  The tide has turned for Dodie O’Dell since a hurricane upended her life on the Jersey Shore. Now she’s further up the coast in sleepy Etonville, managing a restaurant that dishes dinners themed around the community theater’s latest productions. But Dodie just never imagined she’d land the starring role in a case of bloody homicide . . .
 
Intrigued by rumors of vanishing box office money, Dodie has agreed to help oversee the casting of Romeo and Juliet at the modest Etonville Little Theater. If nothing else, it’s a welcome escape from the thirty-something’s usual going-to-bed-with-a-mystery-novel routine. But when Jerome Angleton, a well-respected member of the theater company, is inexplicably found murdered on the loading dock, deadly drama transcends the stage—and the page. As a crime wave crashes over the small town, the spotlight is on Dodie to orchestrate her own investigation behind the scenes . . . before someone has a chance at a killer encore.


My Review

This is the first book that I have read by this author and found it to be an enjoyable experience. This is a fast paced cozy mystery that has some humor along the way. I haven't read very many (if any) cozy mysteries in a theater setting, so this fit nicely into my challenge to read more cozy mysteries with diverse themes this year.  I found that I enjoyed the theater setting and getting a glimpse at the behind the scenes workings.

I found the cast of characters to be well developed, interesting and likeable.  I like that Dodie, our protagonist, picked herself up after a natural disaster and made a new life for herself in a new town.  I enjoy characters that have that type of inner strength.  Dodie is also smart, funny and at times a little overwhelmed in her new position. There is also a fairly large cast of secondary characters and plenty of small town charm.

I thought the mystery was solid and wrapped up in a way that allows for future adventures for these characters. There is a bit of humor throughout the story which is a nice offset to some of the twists and turns that take place.  While I did figure out the identity of the killer (which if you read my reviews almost never happens), this didn't take away from my enjoyment of the rest of the story.

I was provided an ARC by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my opinion and the thoughts expressed are my own.
 

1 comment:

  1. I still have this one to read, sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete