Wednesday, August 17, 2016

The Crepes of Wrath: A Pancake House Mystery


Author:  Sarah Fox
Series:  A Pancake House Mystery #1
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Alibi
Publication Date:  August 16, 2016
Format:  eBook

Description:  When Marley McKinney’s aging cousin, Jimmy, is hospitalized with pneumonia, she agrees to help run his pancake house while he recovers. With its rustic interior and syrupy scent, the Flip Side Pancake House is just as she pictured it—and the surly chef is a wizard with crêpes. Marley expects to spend a leisurely week or two in Wildwood Cove, the quaint, coastal community where she used to spend her summers, but then Cousin Jimmy is found murdered, sprawled on the rocks beneath a nearby cliff.

After she stumbles across evidence of stolen goods in Jimmy’s workshop, Marley is determined to find out what’s really going on in the not-so-quiet town of Wildwood Cove. With help from her childhood crush and her adopted cat, Flapjack, Marley sinks her teeth into the investigation. But if she’s not careful, she’s going to get burned by a killer who’s only interested in serving up trouble.

My Review

The Crepes of Wrath is the first in author Sarah Fox's new Pancake House Mysteries.  I thought this book was well done and very much enjoyed it.  It will not be my last visit to Wildwood Cove.

For the first book in a series, I think this author has penned some strong characters. I very much liked the main character Marley.  She has a great personality and is a pretty independent person, even when perhaps she could use some help.  I also enjoyed that she stumbled into sleuthing as opposed to being an armature sleuth.  When her uncle is killed and one of his employees is a suspect, Marley decides to help the employee whom she strongly feels is innocent by discovering who really murdered her uncle.  At that point, it is more a matter of events leading to questions that uncover clues that a conscious effort to go investigating.  I also liked that she kept the local sheriff informed of everything she discovered.  She was sensible and was out to prove she could solve the murder before the police.  The townspeople add a nice addition to round out the cast.  There is also a blooming romance for Marley but this was handled nicely and didn't overpower the story.

The story itself was well written and had a good pace that let the mystery unfold over the course of the book leading up to a very exciting ending.  The author did a nice job of providing a number of suspects, all of whom could have realistic motives for committing the crime.  Then she threw in some twists and turns that keeps the reader guessing until the end where the identity of the killer is revealed.  Ms. Fox included some nice misdirection for this reader.  At one point I figured out who the identity of the killer only to be thrown off by some false clues that led me in another direction.  I guess that will teach me to second guess myself.

All in all, I thought this was a nicely done story for a first in a new series.  The author has penned a well written book with a good pace, enjoyable characters that will engage readers and a good solid mystery.  I'll will definitely be back to check out future installments in this series.

I was provided an ARC of this book by Alibi through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.  This did not influence my opinion and the thoughts expressed are my own.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like something I would like. I'm adding it to my TBR list! cking78503@aol.com

    ReplyDelete