Saturday, January 28, 2017

Murder Wears White



Author:  Stephanie Blackmoore
Series:  A Wedding Planner Mystery #2
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Kensington
Expected Publication Date:  January 31, 2017


Description:  
Mallory hopes to unveil her new B&B just in time for her first ceremony as a wedding planner. The renovations to Thistle Park—the mansion she inherited in small-town Port Quincy, Pennsylvania—are almost complete. But what Mallory didn’t plan on is the bride’s aunt being poisoned at the wedding tasting and her perfect venue becoming a crime scene.

Adding to the mystery is the discovery that this is not the first murder in the bridal family, and as Mallory becomes engaged in her own investigation she learns the man convicted of the crime may not be guilty. Now she has two crimes to solve before the bride walks down the aisle—but a killer has other plans to ensure that Mallory forever holds her peace.

My Review

This is the second book in the Wedding Planner Mystery series by Stephanie Blackmoore.  I was fortunate enough to have read the first book in the series, so when I was provided with an Advanced Reader Copy of the second book through Netgalley I was more than happy to return to Port Quincy PA. 

This books starts where the first left off and Mallory is trying to get the house she inherited restored and ready to become a Bed and Breakfast/Wedding venue.  Her first client has asked her to move up the date of the wedding and after agreeing that's when things get bad.  This plot line has a lot of things going on throughout the story.  There are a couple of small mysteries intertwined with the larger mystery of who murdered the brides aunt.  I think the author did a terrific job weaving them all together in a way that made sense and resolved all of them.  There are plenty of twists and turns along with suspects for each of the mysteries, some of whom could be a suspect for more than one.  I think the author did a good job of directing the reader's attention to one mystery and perhaps slipping in some clues for another while you were focused elsewhere.  I did not figure out the identity of the murder or who was behind the happenings at the B and B.  All in all, this was a good solid mystery.


The characters in the story are developing nicely.  There are some characters from the first book that make a return appearance and we get introduced to some new ones as well.  I like Mallory.  She is a character that readers can relate to as she struggles to become a successful business owner.  I like that she is not impetuous when she does her investigating and doesn't act rashly.  One of the things I especially like is the sibling relationship between Mallory and Rachel.  It is heartfelt and real.  Anyone who is a sister can relate to the whole clothes stealing (cough...cough....borrowing) scene.  The new characters are well done and fit into the original cast nicely.  I think I am going to like Mallory's mom, who we meet in this book.


I think this is an enjoyable cozy with a good solid mystery and likable characters that will appeal to most cozy readers.  I will be back to see what the author has in store for the third book.


I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book provided to me by the publisher through Netgalley.  This did not influence my opinion and the thoughts expressed are my own.

1 comment: