Saturday, February 4, 2017

A Fatal Romance


Author:  June Shaw
Series:  A Twin Sisters Mystery #1
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Lyrical Underground
Publication Date:  January 24, 2017  
Format:  eBook

Description:  Twin sister divorcees Sunny Taylor and Eve Vaughn have had their fill of both heartaches and headaches. So when they settle down in the small Louisiana town of Sugar Ledge and open a remodeling and repair company, they think they’ve finally found some peace—even though Eve is still open for romance while Sunny considers her own heart out-of-business.

 
Then their newest customer ends up face-down in a pond, and his widow is found dead soon after. Unfortunately, Sunny was witnessed having an unpleasant moment with the distraught woman, and suspicion falls on the twins. And when an attempt is made on Eve’s life, they find themselves pulled into a murder mystery neither knows how to navigate.
 
With a town of prying eyes on them, and an unknown culprit out to stop them, Sunny and Eve will have to depend on each other like never before if they’re going to clip a killer in the bud.


My Review

A Fatal Romance is a promising start to a new cozy mystery series by author June Shaw. This was the first book I have read by this author and I found it to be enjoyable. The story centers around Sunny and Eve, identical twin sisters who have very different personalities. The characters are quirky, likable and fairly well developed for the first book in a series. The girls mother lives in a nursing facility and has a fun, quirky group of friends that round out the cast nicely. I liked that while the women were identical twins that they had their own personalities and histories. Sunny suffered a tragedy when she was a child that results in her signing Christmas songs when she is frightened or in certain circumstances.

The mystery was pretty solid and there were plenty of twists and turns with respect to the identity of the killer. I figured out the culprit along with Sunny and Eve, which was a nice surprise because I usually don't know the identity of the killer until it is revealed to the author. The story had a nice pace that flowed without any lulls, at least in my opinion.

I think this book represents a good start to this new series and I like that it has quirky, non-traditional cozy characters. I will be back to see what this author has in store for the twins in the next book in the series.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book which I received from the publisher through Netgalley. This did not influence my opinion and the thoughts expressed are my own.



1 comment: