Saturday, February 11, 2017

Prose and Cons




Author:  Amanda Flower
Series:  A Magical Bookshop Mystery #2
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Berkley
Published:  December 2016

Description:  October in Cascade Springs means tourists are pouring in for the annual Food and Wine Festival, and Daisy hopes to draw those crowds to the store. She asks Violet and the local writing group, the Red Inkers, to give a reading of the works of Edgar Allan Poe in the shop’s back garden to entertain the revelers. Everyone eagerly agrees.
 
Yet their enthusiasm is soon extinguished when Violet discovers one of the writers dead during the event. After the shop magically tells Violet she’ll need to rely on Poe’s works to solve the murder, she enlists the help of her trusty tuxedo cat, Emerson, and the shop’s crow, Faulkner. But they must act fast before someone else’s heart beats nevermore.


My Review

I am a huge fan of this author so whenever there is a new book I almost always pre-order so that I definitely have the book on release day.  This was no exception.  I fell in love with the first book and was excited to read Prose and Cons.  I got a bit behind due to the holidays but once I cracked this book open I didn't want to put it down.  That is what I love about Amanda Flowers - she has the ability to craft a story with characters, plots and mysteries that draw the reader into the story and allow them to lose themselves in the journey.  And isn't that why we pick up a book in the first place?  This series includes everything a reader of this genre expects and in my opinion is cozy mystery writing at its best.

The characters in this book are all fully dimensional, fun, witty and engaging.  They keep the reader turning pages to see what happens next.  I love the character of Violet.  She is genuine and real, which comes through in every line this author writes.  Violet is once again unfortunate enough to be involved in another murder investigation.  This time, her sense of duty calls her  to clear the name of her friend Sadie after a fellow member of the Red Inkers is killed.  The characters from the first book all make a return appearance and we get to meet a new face - Fenimore - who will play a key role in Violet's journey.  There is a touch of romance for Violet as well.  I just hope the author resolves who will win her affections in the next book or so.  I'm not a big fan of the love triangle, but I have to admit I am having a hard time choosing.

The mystery is well plotted and in typical style Ms. Flowers providers her readers with plenty of twists, turns and surprises.  She always crafts the mystery (at least in my opinion) with a magician like slight of hand.  Just when my attention is directed at one character that I like for the killer, she slips by another clue that has me going in another direction.  I did not guess the identity of the killer until it was revealed in a rather climatic manner. To top it off, I even felt a little sympathetic for the killer.  

If you want a well written story full of great characters and a mystery that will keep you guessing I strongly suggest you pick up a book by this author. You will be transported to another place and spend several hours being highly entertained. I can not wait for the next book in this series. It will be another automatic pre-order.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your great review, Peggy. Another one to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete