Saturday, March 18, 2017

Murder at the Fortune Teller's Table




Author:  Janet Finsilver
Series:  A Kelly Jackson Mystery #4
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Lyrical Underground
Published:  March 14, 2017

Description:  Poisons, prophecies—and a peculiar past . . .
 
When a local woman begins searching for a couple she hasn’t seen since the 1960s, Redwood Cove Bed and Breakfast manager Kelly Jackson and the crime-solving group, the “Silver Sentinels,” are quick to help out. They’re also quick to guess that they’re in over their heads after the woman is found dead beside the body of a Greek fortune teller—and a fellow Sentinel gets attacked. As Kelly juggles work and her responsibilities at a food and wine festival in town, she and her sleuthing posse must confront a killer obsessed with old secrets . . . and solve a murder mystery more than fifty years in the making . . .


My Review

This is the third book in the Kelly Jackson Mystery series and I have enjoyed each one of them.  It has a quaint setting in Northern California, engaging characters, and a well plotted mystery that keep the reader guessing.  As with the other books there is more than one mystery and it is always interesting to see how the author ties them together in such a logical way.

Kelly Jackson, the main character, is warm, caring and intelligent.  She is a character that I think the readers will like and be able to connect with.  That is an important part of cozy mysteries to me.  I need to be able to connect with the characters as much as I enjoy the mystery.  The Silver Sentinels are an older group of individuals so they give a nice diversity in age that I think all readers will enjoy.  At this point in the series, I think all the characters are nicely developed with depth and dimension but still room for growth.

The mystery is really well done in this installment as with all of the previous books. As with the prior books, there are two mysteries in this story. The main mystery is the death of the fortune teller and her assistant.  However, there is a minor mystery involving a thief who strikes during the lunch hour. The author provides the reader with plenty of suspects to choose from when trying to figure out who killed Auntie and Summer.  What I enjoy about this author is how she weaves seemingly unrelated mysteries into a logical conclusion.  The identity of the killer is revealed in a dramatic fashion and the mysteries are wrapped up nicely with a logical explanation.

If you are a fan of quaint towns, bed & breakfast locations, wonderfully written diverse characters and layered mysteries, I think you will enjoy this series.  Each book can be read as a stand alone, but I enjoy reading them in order to see how the characters develop and grow.

I voluntarily read an advanced reader copy of this book which was provided to my by Lyrical Underground through Netgalley.  This did not influence my decision and the thoughts expressed are my own.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your review. I haven't read any of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Peggy, for your wonderful review. I'm glad you're enjoying the series!

    ReplyDelete