Saturday, April 29, 2017

A Good Day to Buy



Author:  Sherry Harris
Series:  A Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mystery #4
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Kensington
Publication Date:  April 25, 2017

Description:  HER BROTHER IS NO BARGAIN  When Sarah Winston’s estranged brother Luke shows up on her doorstep, asking her not to tell anyone he’s in town—especially her ex, the chief of police—the timing is strange, to say the least. Hours earlier, Sarah’s latest garage sale was taped off as a crime scene following the discovery of a murdered Vietnam vet and his gravely injured wife—her clients, the Spencers. 
 
BUT IS HE A KILLER?  All Luke will tell Sarah is that he’s undercover, investigating a story. Before she can learn more, he vanishes as suddenly as he appeared. Rummaging through his things for a clue to his whereabouts, Sarah comes upon a list of veterans and realizes that to find her brother, she’ll have to figure out who killed Mr. Spencer. And all without telling her ex.


My Review

This is the fourth installment in this series and I found it to be highly enjoyable.  I came late to the party and this is only the second book that I have read in this series.  However, coming from a reader that likes to read a series in order, I haven't felt like I have missed out or am in any way "lost" because I haven't read the first two.  (I am planning to read them - they are the TBR list).

This installment started out with a bang right from the beginning.  As usual, when Sarah is running a garage sale something always happens.  This time it was the murder and injury of the husband and wife for whom she was working.  I like Sarah's characters.  She is smart and cautious in her sleuthing and is not one of those amateur sleuth's who is trying to show up the police.  The secondary cast of characters round out the story nicely.  I especially loved Gennie and her attempts to teach Sarah some self-defense. The one area that gives me pause is Sarah's romantic relationship.  With the ending (which I won't say more about so as not to give anything away), I hope the issue is resolved soon.

I very much enjoyed the mystery in this book.  It was layered and complex.  The author wove some clues along with plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing.  There was a climatic ending that resolved the mystery in a way that wrapped up everything nicely.  There were plenty of suspect to choose from and some red herrings to throw the reader off track.  I liked that Sarah had help solving this mystery from her long lost estranged brother and hope we get to see more of him down the road.

All in all, I enjoy this series.  It has a wonderful protagonist that comes across the page as very real.  The stories are well written, with steady plots and pacing, and mysteries that keep the reader turning pages until they are resolved.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced reader copy provided to me by the publisher through Netgalley.  This did not influence my opinion and the thoughts expressed are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your great review. Another series I have to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Peggy for taking the time to read and review my books!

    ReplyDelete