Saturday, June 10, 2017

Yews with Caution



Author:  Kate Collins
Series:  A Flower Shop Mystery #19
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Berkley
Publication Date:  May 31, 2017

Description:  It’s April in New Chapel, and Abby and her husband, Marco, are off to buy shrubs for their new house. But the owner of the local landscaping company is nowhere to be found. Abby’s best friend, Nikki, meanwhile, believes she unwittingly helped a group of her hospital coworkers conspire to kill the man.

After the police get involved, Nikki becomes a suspect. Abby digs deeper for clues to save her friend only to discover bushels of folks bearing a deep-rooted hatred for the two-faced business owner. Marco attempts to help Abby with the case but soon falls critically ill. Now Abby must find the real culprit on her own before everything goes to pot.


My Review

I was so excited to get this book in the mail.  I am a huge fan of this series and would go so far as to say it is my favorite cozy mystery series.  This is the series that introduced me to the cozy mystery genre and started my love affair.  No pressure, right?

When I was preparing this blog post, it was hard to believe that this is the 19th installment in this series.  It is still as fresh, interesting and engaging as when the series first started.  I love that we have watched Abby grow up and mature into the person she is in this book.  While she has grown and perhaps settled a bit, she is still the same loyal, heart-warming, caring and let's face it, impetuous person she was at the beginning of the series. I love how she and Marco have settled into their relationship and marriage.  They are a team and that is something that Marco is always stressing to Abby.  I like how he complements her personality and has the ability to reign in a bit of her impetuousness and her sometimes unwitting ability to put herself in harms way.  

The rest of the characters that we have grown to love are all back as Marco and Abby try to help Nikki, who has become a suspect in the disappearance of a co-worker's husband. Personally, I think this is one of the best cast of characters in the genre.  They are all well round, complex, developed characters that each provides something that Abby or Marco needs in their lives.  I always look forward to Jillian's antics and Maureen's art projects.

The mystery in this story is what reader's have come to expect from this author.  It is complex, layered with plenty of suspects, twists and turns.  I honestly didn't see this ending coming.  It was a great twist and the reveal wrapped up the mystery in a very climatic ending.  There is a minor mystery involving a job Marco and Abby took to discover the identity of an employee who is stealing.  There is also mystery surrounding something that happens to Marco that will have the readers on an emotional roller coaster.  

As I said in the beginning, I am a huge fan of this series and cannot recommend it enough.  It is set in a lovely Midwest town which is inhabited by what I think is one of the best cast of characters in a cozy mystery series.  Abby and Marco, and the rest of the cast are like old friends who draw you into the story until the very last page.  The mystery is well plotted, complex and layer which will have you turning pages to find out how this story ends.  I would highly recommend this series, but would suggest you start with the first book as it is fun to see how these characters have grown.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your review. I have always really enjoyed this series. I still have this one to read.

    ReplyDelete