Saturday, July 8, 2017

30 Second Death



Author:  Laura Bradford
Series:  A Tobi Tobias Mystery #2
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Lyrical Underground
Expected Publication Date:  July 11, 2017

Description:  When Tobi Tobias opened her own advertising agency, Carter McDade was there for her every step of the way. A brilliant hairdresser, Carter has just landed his dream project: doing hair and makeup for a theatrical production of Rapunzel. But the dream turns into a nightmare when he runs into Fiona Renoir, a cruel, talentless starlet who won’t let Carter touch a hair on her head.

To get Fiona out of Carter’s hair, Tobi hires the difficult actress for a bit part in her latest commercial. But true to character, Fiona is a terror on set, and Tobi is starting to think she’s made the biggest mistake of her life. But things get even worse when Fiona drops dead in the hairdresser’s chair, and the only suspect is the man left holding the tainted hair dye, Carter McDade. And unless Tobi can prove his innocence, he’ll never do hair in this town again.


My Review


I was highly entertained by the first book in this series, so I couldn't wait to dive into this second book.  I can definitely say I was not disappointed.

What I love about this series so far is that the characters are well written and developed.  You have a real sense of their history and personality after only two books.  Personally, I think Tobi is a great protagonist.  She has all the characteristics most fans look for in cozy mystery characters and she has great wit and humor.  Plus, who doesn't love a character that thinks you have a genetic flaw if you don't like chocolate.  What I was surprised at is how much I am coming to enjoy the relationship between Tobi and Sam.  While he is only a high school student he has a lot of wisdom and good advice for someone that young.  Their relationship comes across almost like a sibling relationship.  The rest of the characters are back for another adventure including Grandpa Stu and his burgeoning relationship with Mrs. Rapple (insert shudder here).

The mystery was well-plotted with plenty of twists, turns and suspects, as we have come to expect from this author.  The mystery unfolded throughout the course of the story at a nice pace.  The victim was not well liked so that provide the reader with multiple suspects to choose from.  I eagerly turned the pages as fast as I could read to discover the murder's identity and I have to say I really didn't see this one coming.  There is a little romantic curve ball for both Mary Fran and Tobi but I think the reader will be happy with how Tobi's is resolved.  I think we will see Mary Fran's play out over the next book or so.

If you were a fan of the first book, I suggest you add this one to the TBR pile.  It is as good as the first and will have you laughing while eagerly turning pages to see how the cast clears Carter of suspicion of murder. I voluntarily read an advanced reader copy that was provided to me by the publisher through Netgalley.

2 comments:

  1. Peggy, I'm humbled by your review. I'm so glad you enjoyed 30 Second Death!

    (Laura Bradford)
    www.laurabradford.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your great review. I'm looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete