Saturday, July 29, 2017

Death At First Sight



Author:  Lena Gregory
Series:  A Bay Island Psychic Mystery#1
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Berkley
Publication Date:  November 2016


Description:  Since she left her psychiatric practice in New York City to open up a psychic shop in her hometown on Bay Island, Cass Donovan has given her fair share of readings to conflicted customers. But what she sees in Ellie Callahan’s future doesn’t bode well. 
 
When Ellie’s mother, Marge, publicly confronts Cass about the reading, the embarrassment makes her want to curl up and die. And when she later stumbles across Marge’s body—and is a suspect in her murder—Cass is suddenly the star of Bay Island’s rumor mill.
 
Cass is determined to prove her innocence and save Ellie from meeting the fate in her unfortunate vision. But even with the help of her friends Bee and Stephanie, Cass will have to channel some serious sleuthing instincts to find the real killer.


My Review

This book has been on my TBR pile since it was first published.  I was lucky enough to win a copy of the second book in the series which spurred me into picking up this one and beginning the series. 

I thought this was a good story for the first in a new series.  The characters are all likable and I think the reader will be able to relate to them.  I really enjoyed the friendship between Cass, Bee and Stephanie.  It felt authentic and it was fun to watch Bee's reaction to Cass and her profession. Cass is what I like to call an accidental amateur sleuth.  She doesn't go looking for mysteries to solve, but when she finds the dead body of a woman who was not a fan she becomes the prime suspect.  Not one to sit by and let herself be railroaded, Cass takes matters into her own hands, with the help of her two best friends, and tries to solve the murder to clear her name.  The secondary cast of characters completes this story and there is a hint at a potential future romance for Cass.

The mystery was solid and layered throughout the story.  The author did a wonderful job of providing the reader with multiple suspects peppering clues, twists and turns throughout the story.  She also did a great job of misdirecting the reader, at least in my opinion.  I was positive that I had determined the killer's identity and was so proud of myself. As I was congratulating myself for solving the murder, the author takes a sharp turn and reveals the actual identity of the killer in a very exciting conclusion.  I was surprised by the identity of the real killer and have to say I did not see this one coming. 

I thought this was a well done first in a new series.  Cass is an accidental sleuth finding her way to clearing her name with the help of her two best friends.  The mystery was solid and kept me engaged and guessing right up until the end.  I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to dive into the second book to see what the author has in store next for Cass.

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I'm going to have to check this book out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete