Saturday, July 22, 2017

Killer Party



Author:  Lynn Cahoon
Series:  A Tourist Trap Mystery #9
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Lyrical Underground, 
Publication Date:  July 18, 2017

Description:  For a gang of old college buddies, the quaint resort town of South Cove, California, is the perfect spot for a no-holds-barred bachelor party. But for Jill Gardner—owner of Coffee, Books and More—this stag party is going to be murder . . .

After a few months of living with her boyfriend Greg, Jill is still getting used to sharing such close quarters, but she’s got no hesitation about joining him for a weekend at South Cove’s most luxurious resort. While Greg and his college pals celebrate their buddy’s upcoming wedding, Jill intends to pamper herself in style. But when the groom is found floating face-down in the pool, Jill must find the killer fast, or she might not have a boyfriend to come home to any more . . .


My Review

I was a latecomer to this series, but now that I have found it and read a few I can't wait to go back and catch up on what I missed.  As someone who is pretty strict about reading a series in order, I have to say that with the Tourist Trap Mysteries I don't feel like I have missed anything (other than the evolution of Greg and Jill's relationship) by not having read any book before the 8th in the series.

This book picks up not long after the end of the previous book with Jill and Greg away for the weekend to celebrate the upcoming wedding of one of Greg's old friends.  I have to say, almost right from the beginning the author hints that everything may not be quite what it seems.  What I love about this series are the characters.  The ones in this series are well written, complex, and multi-layered characters but there is still much to learn and plenty of room for them to grow and develop further.  Jill is quickly becoming a favorite amateur sleuth for me.  She makes no bones about her investigating and doesn't try to hide it from Greg. I liked in this book that Greg actually needed her investigative skills.

The mystery was fast paced and the readers will be flying through the pages to try and resolve the identity of the killer. The suspects are plenty and plausible.  The clues are subtle and woven throughout the course of the story.  I was really surprised by the identity of the killer - I was so focused on where I thought the author was directing us that I didn't see this one coming.  I think long time readers, and even newer readers, will be surprised by how the author ended this story.  It will leave you clamoring for the next book in the series.

If you love cozy mysteries set in a quaint California setting, with terrific characters that are relatable, likable, complex and multi-dimensional coupled with well plotted, multi-layered mysteries then I would recommend this series to you.  

I voluntarily read an advanced reader copy provided to me by the publisher through Netgalley.


1 comment:

  1. I just finished this book and wrote my review, too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete