Saturday, August 12, 2017

All Signs Point to Murder




Author:  Connie di Marco (a/w/a Connie Archer)
Series:  A Zodiac Mystery #2
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Midnight Ink
Publication Date:  August 5, 2017

Description:  Julia Bonatti is alarmed by the astrological signs looming over Geneva Leary’s wedding day, but nobody asked Julia’s opinion and being a bridesmaid means supporting the bride no matter what. Even with the foreboding Moon-Mars-Pluto lineup in the heavens, no one’s prepared for the catastrophes that strike: a no-show sister, a passed-out wedding planner, and a lethal shooting in the dead of night.


With anger and grief threatening to tear the Leary family part, Julia is determined to understand how such a terrible tragedy could occur. As she digs deeper into the family’s secrets, her astrological insights will lead her to the truth about a criminal enterprise that stretches far beyond the California coast.

My Review
I requested an advance copy of this book from Netgalley with a bit of trepidation.  I am a fan of this author's writing as Connie Archer, but I found the first book in this series too overwhelming with its focus on astrology.  Because I liked the uniqueness of the main characters profession and I very much enjoy this author's other work, I decided to give the second book a try.

I have to say, I enjoyed the second book much more than the first.  I thought this time around the author did a better job balancing the inclusion of astrology with the overall mystery and story line.  I like that Julia's profession is unique to the cozy mystery genre and it is interesting to me how she can use astrology charts to really discover things about people. Julia herself is a character that has a lot of potential.  I would love to see more development in the next few books.  The author has made a good start but I think that there room for growth both personally and professionally.  The secondary cast of characters are interesting.  I like Gloria, Julia's grandmother.  I am hoping we get to see more of her in future books.

I thought the mystery in this installment was much stronger than the first book.  The murder victim was the sister of one of Julia's good friends and so armed with some astrological information, she attempts to help her friend discover why her sister was killed.  Given how and when the murder occurred, there are not a lot of suspects.  However, the author does a good job of making a plausible case for each of them as the killer.  I had my suspicions of who committed the crime and it turned out I was correct for a change.  However, I did not guess the full motive for the crime.    The story had a good, steady pace and the mystery unfolded over the course of the entire story.  It have a very climatic reveal and what I thought was a bit of a cryptic ending.

I think this series has good promise as long as the author continues to balance the mysteries and characters with the astrology.  If you are not familiar with astrology, it can be a bit overwhelming when the author focuses on Julia reading someones chart.   I think there is plenty of room for the characters to grow and develop and I think the author could take Julia's amateur sleuthing capabilities in a couple of different directions.

I voluntarily read an advanced reader copy provided to me by the publisher through Netgalley.


3 comments:

  1. Dear Peggy, just discovered your review this morning. Thanks so much for taking the time to read All Signs Point to Murder. I'm so glad you enjoyed Julia's latest adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your review with us.

    ReplyDelete