Saturday, August 5, 2017

Cat About Town





Author:  Cate Conte (a/w/a Liz Mugavero)
Series:  A Cat Cafe Mystery #1
Genre:  Cozy Mystery
Publisher:  Minotaur Books
Published:  August 1, 2017

Description:  Maddie James has arrived in Daybreak Island, just off the coast of Massachusetts, eager to settle down and start her own business—and maybe even fall in love. When a stray orange tabby pounces into her life, she’s inspired to open a cat café. But little does Maddie know that she’s in for something a lot more catastrophic when her new furry companion finds the dead body of the town bully. Now all eyes are on Maddie: Who is this crazy cat-whisperer lady who’s come to town? If pet-hair-maintenance and crime-fighting weren’t keeping her busy enough, Maddie now has not one but two eligible bachelors who think she’s the cat’s pajamas . . . and will do anything to win her heart. But how can she even think about happily-ever-after while a killer remains on the loose—and on her path?


My Review

I had been seeing some early reviews for this book and so I decided to give it a try.  I'm glad I took a chance on both a new author and a new series.  I am new to this author, not having read anything under her other pen name Liz Mugavero.  I was delightfully entertained by this book.

For me, this did not read like a first in a new series.  Right from the start I felt like the characters were well-rounded, dimensional and nicely developed.  I instantly liked and connected with Maddie James.  There was none of that awkward getting to know you, first date feeling.  I found Maddie to me warm, fun, loyal and loving.  She is someone we would all like to know.  I also really liked her Grandpa.  Although he lost his wife and is grieving, his life continues and he is not going to just stop living.  The rest of the secondary characters contribute to the story nicely giving us a good picture of the diverse community that lives in this New England town.

I also thought the mystery was really well done.  The victim turns out to be not so well liked by the community because of his personality and the way he is trying to go about changing the community.  As a result, this allows the author to provide the reader with plenty of suspects to choose from with plausible and believable motives.  The mystery is woven nicely throughout the story and I thought there were enough twists and turns that unfolded to keep me guessing as to the killer's identity until the climatic reveal at the end.

Overall, I thought this was a well-plotted cozy mystery with a charming setting and inviting characters.  It did not read as a first in a series as the writing and pace kept me engaged and turning pages until the very end.  I think the author also did a terrific job of using this book to set up the Cat Cafe theme for future books.  I was delightfully entertained by Maddie, her Grandpa and JJ, and will be back to see what this author has in story for this series.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced reader copy provided to me by Minotaur Books, the publisher, through Netgalley.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book. I agree, it didn't seem like a series first. Thanks for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete